How to grow a crystal of vitriol ?
Watch the video
If you want to instill in their child an interest in the natural sciences and in the process introduce him to the basics of chemistry, have the child put some entertaining experience, for example, engage in growing crystals from a saturated salt solution.Grow from copper sulfate beautiful bright blue crystal - it is very simple, but very long.Be patient, read our instructions, you can purchase the necessary reagents and safely get down to business.
How to grow a large crystal of copper sulfate
Necessary materials and equipment
- Polukilogrammovaya packaging of copper sulfate.Copper sulphate is used to protect plants from pests, as a fertilizer and for the treatment of the walls of the mold.Therefore, you can find it in the building or hardware stores or in stores, "All for the garden."
- Distilled water - liter bottle.Copper sulfate (as it is called chemical copper sulfate) - compound very active, so it should be dissolved in distilled water.Tap water for this is of little use, since impurities contained therein may react with copper sulfate.Distilled water can be purchased at any store that sells car parts.
- Two glass jars: liter and half-liter.
- glass rod.
- rubber seals.
- Lake and filter paper.
- reel strong white x / w thread and buttons of a very small flat.
- should wear rubber gloves and prepare a saturated solution of copper sulphate.In principle, it is possible to accurately calculate the amount of sulfate sulfur to be dissolved in a given volume of water to obtain such a solution.For this we need to know the solubility of sulfate (at t 20 * C is equal to 36 g / 100 mL), and multiply this figure by the volume of water used.But as you have in the economy is unlikely to find laboratory scales, you can do much easier - in a quart jar, pour about 300 ml of warm water and pour it in a glass of vitriol.Thoroughly mix the solution with a glass rod and put the bank in the direction of a day.During this time, several times stir the solution.
- The next day, a half-liter jar, set the watering can, put it in the filter paper (or a piece of cotton wool) and slowly pass through a filter solution yesterday.Drain solution from liter cans slowly and carefully - on the bottom will remain undissolved excess sulfate.
- Remove the funnel, discard the filter paper.From thus prepared saturated solution of sulphate of small crystals will fall out naturally - drop enough in the bank line of the tip, and a few hours later on it will be the first small blue crystals.But you want to grow a real big beautiful crystal, so to obtain it you will have to use a little trick.Like a pearl in the shell grows around her trapped in a grain of sand, and crystal in a solution needs to grow around some basics.As such a framework you can use a small crystal sulfate (pre-grown) or normal buttons of a small.
- Tie the end of a thread or a button crystal throat banks put a glass rod (or pencil).Dip a button (or crystal) in the bank so that it was in the center of the solution and does not touch the bottom and sides of the banks.Fix the second free end of the thread - just tie it to a stick - a crossbeam.Cover the whole design with gauze, so that the bank is not exposed to dust, and put it away from food, pets and small children.
- from time to time, remove the jar, admire the growing crystal and the solution is filtered.
- A month later, when the crystal becomes quite large, remove it from the solution, cut the thread, rinse and dry.You can cover the crystal clear varnish if desired.
learn how to grow a crystal of ordinary kitchen salt, read our article How to grow a crystal of salt.