How to define a transitive verb ?
Verbs - a separate part of speech, indicating the subject action.They, like any other part of speech, have permanent symptoms, ie those which are peculiar to them in any form, no matter how the word changed.One such property is transitive.
What is a transitive verb, how to define the transitivity of intransitive verbs, what methods to use for this?
What is a transitive verb?
transitive verbs denote an action that is directed at an object, the "transition" to it.These verbs are or may be in possession of words appearing in the accusative without a preposition.
Word when a transitive verb can stand in the genitive case in two cases:
- when referring to parts of a whole, such as: drinking milk (easy to replace accusative - drink milk).
- If the verb is negation not perform the task (also easily replace the accusative: not accomplish the task).
difficulties may arise in determining the transitive verb.How to define a transitive verb?The proposed algorithm, how to do it.
algorithm determining transitive verb
- find the verb.Look, is there any word in a sentence, to which you can ask questions accusative (who? What?), These words are called direct complement.If questions are asked and the words do not have an excuse, it is transitive verbs.Remember that these additions expressed by nouns or pronouns.Examples: "I read (what?) Book.";"I saw (what?) It."
- If not the verb direct object, it is still Asking questions accusative and trying to find the words that would respond to these questions.We mentioned earlier that the transience - it is a constant feature.So, it will be peculiar to a transitive verb and without additions.For example: I say (what?) - Easily will pick up the word (truth);"I noticed (who?) Them."BUT: "Rush (? Someone that)" - not a word is selected, the verb is intransitive."Laugh (who that?)" - Also intransitive.If
- addition the verb is in the genitive case, is not an excuse, and represents part of the whole, or the verb is the negation, the verb will also be transitional.For example: "Drink (what?) Water.";"Do not write (what?) The letter."
Remember all reflexive verbs, ie having suffixes "Xia", "-s" - intransitive, as the action is directed at something or someone, and "returned" to the subject of action: think, think, decided
additional material on this topic can be found in the articles on our website What is a verb, and what is the sacrament.