What is a noun ?
Russian language is incredibly rich.There are many different concepts: part of speech, the sentence, punctuation, etc. Sometimes it is difficult to navigate in all these definitions...Let's deal with one of the major, and learn what a noun.Noun - independent part of speech, indicating the object.
animate and inanimate nouns
name of the speech speaks for itself: noun - means something significant, indicating a creature or entity.It is not surprising, therefore, that nouns are animate and inanimate.
To animate nouns are responding to the question "Who?":
- names of animals (wolf, fish, poultry);
- names of people (the brother of the woman, builder, pianist).
Inanimate answer the question "What?":
- the names of different objects (a chair, school); quality
- (kindness, courage);
- state (fear, cold);
- events (engagement, a concert);
- phenomena (rain, rainbow).
Proper nouns and common nouns
Among nouns and common nouns distinguish their own.
What own nouns?They are written with a capital letter, they include:
- surname, name and patronymic of the people, as well as a nickname;
- nicknames animals (Mukhtar);
- geographical and astronomical name (Volga, the Crimea, the moon);
- newspaper titles, magazines, literary, musical and artistic works;
- names of theaters, factories, ships, trade marks;
- names of historical events and holidays (Kulikovo Battle, Victory Day).
What common nouns nouns?They call all the objects and phenomena, and are written in small letters.
Nouns are of three kinds:
- Female (it) to the end of s, th (Map, Observatory) and a null-terminated (the youth).
- Male (he): a null-terminated (rook, table) and ending -a -I (dad, uncle).
- Medium (it) with the ending -o, -e (expression, word) and 10 nouns on -mya (a flame, a tribe, a name, a banner, a burden, the udder, the time, the seed, the stirrup, the crown).
Russian language is difficult, but interesting.In what other language are words that do not have the race?It nouns which have no singular forms (vacation pants).
There are a group of nouns common gender: boy, an orphan, a sneak, impatiens, glutton, cuckoo, namesake, suck-up, cripple, clever.They do not have generic features and depending on the circumstances of the nouns are masculine or feminine (He Was a Quiet Man. She was meek).
number of nouns
Most nouns depending on the number of objects used and referred to in the singular and plural.
But there are words that can be used exclusively:
in the singular:
- quality name tag (agility, darkness, freshness);
- action name, condition (harvest, burning);
- collective noun, meaning many of the same persons, objects (mankind, youth);
- flame burden, the crown, the udder.
In the plural:
- names of materials and products (white, cream);
- name pair and composite objects (scales, swing);
- period, the game (day, chess, hide and seek);
- various activities (elections, negotiations);
- state of nature (freezing);
- geographical names (Athens, Cordeliers).
Declination of nouns
What declension of nouns?This change nouns on cases.
In Russian there are three declension of nouns, determined at the end in the singular in the nominative case:
- words that relate to the female and male birth to the end of s, th (land, youth);
- neuter ending with -o, -e (creation) and male gender a null-terminated (the doctor) and -o, -e (little house);
- feminine with a null-terminated (the night).
There are also heteroclite nouns.That's 10 words to -mya and masculine "way".They have the end of the 3rd declination s in the genitive, dative and prepositional;instrumental case in the second declension ending -em (-ёm).
Nouns that are not inclined (indeclinable) have one form in all cases.This common nouns (the jury, coffee) and own (Goethe, Sochi).
Knowing what a noun, it is easy to guess that in the proposal, it is mostly the subject and complement.But it can often act as the other parts of speech.