How did idioms ?
phraseologisms called stable expression, which are peculiar to a particular language and describe any situation, a phenomenon in society, as well as just decorate it, are synonyms of words used every day in the home.As examples of phraseology, which are widely used in modern speech, are the following expression:
- hang noodles on the ears
- Gus pig is not a friend
- Baba with a cart - mare easier
- For the forest for the trees not see, etc.
How did idioms?As a rule, the history of each phraseologism can be quite simple, and can, on the contrary, have a number of hypotheses.Consider a few expressions and their history The origin of.If you do not know what the word idiom, read the article What is the idiom.
hang noodles on the ears
expression "hang noodles on the ears" is known to us from childhood.Literally it means to deceive anyone.But few people think why it sounds that way, why is related with noodles?There are two versions of the origin of the phraseologism.
- appeared on the "cheat" the verb.The word "noodles" according to some philologists derived from the French word "La Poshe", which means "pocket".Thus, earlier called the noodles are not familiar to us the dish and pickpockets who steal money from people.Nimble thieves often palaver could pat the person on the shoulder and quietly steal money from his pocket.About deceived people began to say that they swindled.And then, when the noodles (meal) have appeared on the tables of people, about the robbed or defrauded it said that "they noodles on the ears of his ass."
- The second version is more simple to understand.It is connected with the criminal world.In their slang for "noodles" refers to a criminal case, which is in fact fabricated in order to send the offender to prison if it was not enough evidence.
Gus pig is not a friend
origin of this phrase is not related to foreign languages.It is often used to emphasize the success of some people and the failure of others.This expression was used before and those who consider themselves the elite of society and do not want to communicate with people whose status is much lower them.
According to one version he invented peasants who began to compare their comrades, who were wealthy people, the geese.The reason for this became a characteristic stately gait, which has a goose.Often these people ceased to communicate with old friends and create whole societies in the villages, which invited only those who have reached a certain level in the housekeeping.In response to accusations of "simple" peasant wealthy coined the phrase that without words to emphasize his attitude.
Idiom of the legends and myths
Often people hear a variety of expressions, which are inherent in any legend.Such is the expression "clean the Augean stables."It goes back to the myth of Hercules, who accomplished the feat, clean stables Augeas the king in just one day.This myth refers to the heroism of those who take up cases that are not pleasing to anyone else.At the same time, this expression is often used to determine an extremely difficult situation.
Thus, the origin of many of phraseology can be divided into three categories:
- who came from foreign languages;
- who came from fairy tales, myths and legends.