What is wind?
Watch the video
Nature is filled with a variety of different events, interesting, beautiful, and even frightening.This article will be devoted to the phenomenon of the wind.The wind can not be seen, but the effects of this natural phenomenon may be more than obvious.
To begin tell you about what is the wind.Wind is called the horizontal movement of air masses over land or water.
Why the wind blows?
movement of air masses due to the difference in temperature and atmospheric pressure in various areas of the terrain.Thus, for example, warm and respectively lighter air masses rise, forming a low pressure region in which the air tends from areas where pressure is higher.Wind is always moving in the direction of the field of high pressure to a low pressure area.
For more information about the causes of the wind, you know, read the article: Why the wind blows.
Earth Wind classified according to various criteria, depending on the strength (speed), the length and direction.
- Wind force is determined on the Beaufort scale, which divides the wind by 18 species - from calm to storm and hurricane.wind speed measured in knots or meters per second and the average value is (in most of the averaged velocity, measured for 10 minutes).Measure wind speed with anemometer (anemometer) or probes.
- Partly winds, lasting a few seconds, called gusts.Wind gust average duration of call.The name of the extended winds depends on their strength.
- In meteorology, the wind direction is considered to be the direction from which the wind is blowing.For example: the western, south-eastern wind, etc.To determine the direction of the wind instrument used - weathervane.
addition to the basic features of the wind as are divided into:
- Global.There are two types of wind that ensure the general circulation of the Earth's atmosphere: the trade winds and monsoons.In this case the cause of the monsoon is a seasonal change in temperature, they blow from the land in the winter, summer, ocean, and are sustained winds.Trade winds - constantly blowing wind between the tropics, one of the reasons for their occurrence is the daily rotation of the Earth and appears as a result of the Coriolis force.
- Local (prevailing) - blowing in certain areas.For example, boron is the local valleys and mountain winds, and is peculiar to the mountainous landscape.
different kinds of winds also devoted another article of our site: What are the wind.
role of wind in nature and civilization
wind values in the life of nature and the planet as a whole can not be overestimated: they participate in the formation of topography and climate of the planet;forming sand dunes, shifting sand deserts;help to expand the areas of plant growth, carrying their seeds, and so on.
Currently, wind lead to a worsening of the human impact on nature.So, thanks to winds of forest fires spread with great speed, which complicates their localization and extinguishing.
Man has long enjoyed force winds:
- The travels and discoveries (sailing, balloons);
- As a clean energy source;
- for entertainment (paraplaning, windsurfing, kite surfing, kites, etc.)
addition to the positive impact on the life and development of human society, not just the wind leads to tragedy.So, strong winds can destroy both detached dilapidated buildings and whole settlements.To determine the potential damage of the wind there is a special scale of Saffir-Simpson hurricane.