What is the bowel ?
we describe in this article, that is the intestine, from which departments he is, what functions, what diseases peculiar to him.
location and bowel function
Intestine - a component of the gastrointestinal tract, which is located in the abdomen (from the pylorus begins and ends with the anus).
The tone of the intestine length of approximately 4 meters. The most intensive growth of the internal organs is carried out in the period from 5 months to 5 years.And with the age of the shape and position, structural features of intestinal change.
What is the intestine?He is responsible for the processes of absorption of food and food processing residues in faeces.In addition, each of the intestine perform their function, making contribution to the implementation of the tasks facing the agency.
Structure and function of the intestine
are two major bowel segment - small and large intestine.They are of different diameters and lengths are slightly different in terms of the issues they tackle.
first large intestine, located between the stomach and the colon.Its length ranges from about 1.6 to 3 m, width -. 3 to 5 cm
It mainly takes the final process of digestion of food (having been previously "processed" in the stomach), which makes the intestine indispensable in obtaining all necessary andnutrients for health
intestines are the following sections of the small intestine:
- jejunum ,;
This is the second, the lower part of the intestine, which begins at the end of the ileum and the anus.Its length is about 1.5, and the width varies from 4 to 8-10 cm.
processes of water absorption occur here as well as the transformation of food residue (chyme) in the stool, followed by their removal from the body.
The following sections of the colon:
- cecum.Since it is an intermediary between the large and small intestine, its main task is to monitor to ensure that food does not come back from the colon back to a fine.It departs from this ulcer is well known to all process - appendix.
- colon.Perhaps, the main part of the large intestine - is in it are absorbed large amounts of water and electrolytes that are vital for the body.In addition, the colon contributes to hardening of the stool, facilitating their comfortable for human excretion.
- rectum - is directly involved in defecation.
Talking about what is happening in the gut with various dysfunctions of its departments, it is worth noting first of all intestinal disorders.This constipation, diarrhea, feeling of heaviness, pressure in the abdomen, pain.
are treating bowel disease following doctors: gastroenterologist, surgeon, oncologist.
Among specific to that organ pathologies:
- Crohn's disease - an inflammatory disease of unknown etymology.
- Hemorrhoids - loss of the lower part of the rectum.
- bowel obstruction - a violation of (partial or complete) movement through the intestines of food debris.
- Acute appendicitis - inflammation of the appendix.
- Polyposis - formation on the inner walls of the intestinal growths (polyps), benign origin.
Also read our other articles on this subject:
- How to check intestines
- How to clean the intestines
- How sore gut
- How does the intestine