What is the colon ?
Gut and correct "gut" - is one of the constituents of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT), where the digestion of food and absorption of nutrients, production of certain hormones.It is intestines in the abdominal cavity and consists of several sections.
On the structure of the intestine and its functions are described in detail in the article below.
intestinal structure and function
two segments can be identified in the gut: the colon and small.Each of these parts has its own structure.
What is the colon?This name is the lower part of the intestine (length approximately 1.5 m), is responsible for the absorption of water and formation of feces from food residues that the body has processed, highlighting everything you need for life.The name "fat" is dictated by the characteristics of this part of the intestine - its clearance inner cavity larger (on average, from 4 to 8-10 cm) than that of the so-called "small intestine", as well as the colon is more dense connective and muscular layers.
In turn, the large intestine is divided into the following departments:
- cecum.The peculiar link between the small intestine and thick.It prevents ingress of food from the colon in the upper sections.
- colon.It goes right after the blind and is a key part of the large intestine.The colon absorbs a lot of water and electrolytes, promotes the formation of yet soft food "waste" more dense feces.
- rectum.This name is often at the hearing, and because many people can be interested in what the rectum.It represents the end of the large intestine forming anus.
Now let's talk about what the small intestine.This section of the intestine, which is located between the stomach and the large intestine and is responsible for the digestion of food, already passed the preliminary "treatment" in the stomach.The length of this segment is about 2-4 meters, and the width of the inner lumen ranges from 3 to 5 cm
small intestine and is divided into sections:.
- This 12-duodenum.The first segment, going behind the stomach.It begins the process of intestinal digestion.The name is derived from the length - about 12 times laid across the "finger" (ie, finger).
- jejunum.Participates in digestion.
- ileum.Also performs its function in the process of digestion.
you might also be useful article Where are the intestine.