How to use an inhaler ?
Inhalation is the optimal way to deliver the medicine to the focus of inflammation. With this method of administration, the drug does not enter into excessive chemical reactions and is not altered by enzymes of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, with inhalation, the drug acts quickly, which is especially important in the treatment of diseases of the upper respiratory tract. But many people have a question: how to use an inhaler? The answer to this question is given in the framework of this article.
To date, 4 types of inhalers have been widely used:
Let's consider each of them in detail and the features of their application.
The steam inhaler operates on the principle of evaporation. The drug is heated, and the patient breathes in his vapors. The drawbacks of such inhalers include the fact that some medicines lose their useful properties when heated, and the concentration of the active substance in the vapor is often insufficient to achieve a good therapeutic effect. In addition, the steam inhaler is difficult to apply for the treatment of children, as the kids actively protest against the inhalation of hot steam. Consider how to properly use the steam type inhaler:
- Pour into the reservoir of the inhaler broth of medicinal herbs, salt and soda solution or boiled water with essential oil
- After boiling water, inhale for 5-10 minutes the resulting steam
- After the procedure, rinse and dry the inhaler
After inhalationit is recommended to rest and stay warm for about an hour, as well as not to eat directly before or after the procedure. Inhalations of steam can not be used, if you have a fever, your face has a noticeable vascular network, if you suffer from heart failure, you tend to bleed.
Due to the existing drawbacks, in practice, especially for babies, other types of inhalers are often used in practice, especially for babies, the so-called nebulizers( from the Latin word nebula, translated as "cloud, fog"), which include ultrasonic, compressor and electron-mesh inhalers. Nebulizers form an aerosol from the drug. When inhaled, particles of medicine from the aerosol enter the respiratory tract, reach the focus of inflammation and act on it.
An ultrasonic inhaler creates an aerosol consisting of small particles of a drug that is able to penetrate even into small bronchi. The aerosol is created by a vibrating plate, which breaks up the liquid into particles with a diameter of up to 5 μm. Within 10-15 minutes of operation, the inhaler delivers up to 15-30 ml of the drug to the inflammatory focus. The shortcomings include a limited list of drugs that can be poured into such an inhaler. For example, it is not allowed to use in the ultrasound inhaler solutions of essential oils, home herbal decoctions, crushed tablets and syrups, antiseptics, antibiotics, interferon and a number of other medicines.
Let's find out how to use an ultrasonic inhaler.
- Check whether your medication can be poured into an
- ultrasonic inhaler Prepare the inhaler and nozzles and wash your hands
- Fill the inhaler bottle with demineralized water or a special gel so that the bottom of the
- container is closed. Pour the preparation
- into the medicine container Insert both containers innebulizer, attach tube and mask or mouthpiece to it
- During the procedure, sit straight, do not move and do not talk
- Inhaler hold vertically
- If you use a mouthpiecek, then it should be kept upright and tight bow lips
- If you do inhalation using a mask, check that it is tight against the skin of the face
- should be deeply and evenly breathe through the mouth. Do not accelerate your breathing. It is advisable to hold your breath for a few seconds after each inhalation.
- Inhalation should be carried out until the solution has run out, usually it takes 7 to 10 minutes.
The characteristics of the compressor inhaler is similar to ultrasound, the difference between them is that the compressor has a larger size and noticeably noise during operation. The action of this type of inhaler is based on the creation by the compressor of a flow of air passing through a small opening in the drug chamber. This stream creates an aerosol. Thanks to this principle of action, almost all inhalation preparations can be used in a compressor inhaler.
And now we'll look at how to use a compressor inhaler.
- Check whether it is possible to fill the chosen drug into the
- compressor inhaler. Place the inhaler on a flat surface and connect it to the mains, wash your hands
- Use a sterile syringe, pipette or measuring cup to measure at least 5 ml of the drug and pour it into the inhaler chamber. The drug can be dissolved only in sterile saline.
- Connect the tube and mouthpiece, mask or nasal cannula to the inhaler.
- . Put on the mask( nasal cannula) or insert the mouthpiece into the mouth. You can start inhalation.
- Rules for inhalation are the same as for the
ultrasound inhaler If you still have an unresolved question about how to use the inhaler, a video with instructions for various inhalers can be easily found on the Internet, for example, on YouTube. Be healthy!